Musical Meanderings

This is a blog centered around some of the musical encounters and experiences that I come upon in my daily life as a musician.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alameda, California

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Pascal's Coffee Shop

Sunday morning. Today is my teaching day! But I get to write for a few minutes first with a nice cup of hazelnut coffee with cream. It's nice here in my treehouse teaching porch.

Yesterday I played at a coffee house called Pascals French Oven in Danville. I played solo cello. It was fun! Students and friends came and it was like a party. Isabelle was there. She has never seen me play before at something like this, because her father never comes, and so she can't uusually come. But yesterday we had friends there that took care of her while I played.

I really enjoyed this venue. I played classical favorites and jazz favorites and some new originals. Isabelle and her other little friends ran around and played with stickers and dolls and things.

I remember back in Tucson, when I was a freshman. My friend Wayne Smith was playing in a coffee house there. He was reading Bach Suites. At the time, I just thought it was the most amazing thing, that he could just go into that coffee house and play like that.

And now... I really felt a sense of community there, as though I was bringing my music to the neighborhood with kids and friends and good pastry and coffee. And I certainly need to do more of this kind of thing, because this feels good.

When I was in the Cirque du Soleil, we played two shows a night, five days a week, but we were behind glass up in a sound booth. The theatre held about two thousand people nightly, and it was usually always sold out. There were always famous people in the house. This was thrilling in a way, but, after the shows, we never got to meet anyone. So we would just quickly get dressed in the dressing room and slip out into the Bellagio. We walked out beside the audience, but they didn't know who we were. We almost never talked to anyone who had just seen the show. We never got any comments or anything. That was kind of a lonely way to perform.

Yesterday's performance was fulfilling in a different way.

This afternoon I will be playing a wedding here in Alameda with my friend, Lylia on the violin. We are going to play a duet rendition of the Mendelsohn violin concerto, the slow movement, for the bridal march...that should be interesting. Lylia is a fine player so it will be beautiful, and I will try my best to fill in some bass and harmony from the piano score. We'll see...

The next big musical venture on the schedule that I know of is the audition for the Marin Symphony. I have to get myself practicing for this. It is happening on September 12, so I have about nine days to prepare, but with Isabelle around, it is difficult to get any practicing done!

Well, off to my students this morning! And another cup of coffee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home