Musical Meanderings

This is a blog centered around some of the musical encounters and experiences that I come upon in my daily life as a musician.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alameda, California

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday Morning in February 2007

Sunday morning again! Teaching day. I have five students today in a row. So, I will be teaching from nine to two. It's a long stint but I kind of enjoy just getting lost in the music world this way, on my backporch treehouse music studio. There are hummingbirds that hover outside the window and listen, and lots of trees creating a woodsy feel back here.

The Druid Sister's are up and running again after some injuries and personel changes. We had several rehearsals this week. Yesterday we rehearsed without our amazing singer and it was interesting. It was the trap drummer, Claudia, a new bass player Kate, and Kathy the fiddler and me. Since the singer is the one who really tends to do alot of improv and to lead the group, it was good for us to rehearse without her and to just work on the regular forms of the songs and the background. We have some shows up north in March that we are working on. I have to put together my schedule and get it listed on this website. Remind me to do that!

My little daughter, Isabelle had her five year old birthday party lasts Saturday! It was fun. We had a big princess castle bouncy house for the kids (and some of the adults, myself included), and I made a great pink castle cake. And no, I didn't use the mold, I made it myself from scratch. If I could figure out how to add a photo to this blog, I would put up a picture of it. So she is five now! She is all about princesses and dress up and presents. We have been eating pink cake leftovers every day and we have been taking the week off of cello for her. A much deserved break, but tomorrow we will start up again. She is doing quite well holding her own on the melody of the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, the "Ode to Joy" theme, while I play the counter melody. I seem to remember that some of this is the real counter melody and then I think I made some of it up? Anyway, that's one of our big hits right now. I am finding that in teaching Isabelle, variety is key, so I have to keep putting new tunes in there that she likes, like the bassline for the Ay Yi song from her piano class, You are My Sunshine, and whatever else comes into my mind (or hers).

Oh yeah, and last week we were playing little songs for each body part and making up silly words. Her favorite was the head song...that had words something like: My head, fell off my shoulders, and rolled down the stairs...I picked it up, and put it back on my shoulders...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home