Musical Meanderings

This is a blog centered around some of the musical encounters and experiences that I come upon in my daily life as a musician.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alameda, California

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Brazilian Recording Session

Hey---yesterday I played a Brazilian recording session. It was alot of fun and I loved the music. I had to wait around for a few hours at the beginning of the session because the recording engineer left and there was supposed to be a sub, but noone came for awhile. People were sitting around talking in Spanish and I wasn't sure what they were talking about so I felt a little uncomfortable. The producer didn't speak any English, but he smiled alot. The arranger kind of reminded me of a Latin version of Paul Simon. He was very easy going, and I said to myself, good, this is good for a recording session, because they can be very stressful.

But when we got to playing the music, it was great. I loved putting cello lines down. There were some songs in Portugese and some in Italian. The singer was a Brazilian woman named Anna Nitmar and she was very kind and sincere. I had to play two and sometimes three parts on top of each other, and along with the recorded rhythm section.

I had gotten this gig from my good friend Robin Lewis, who is an amazing musician. It was really fun at one point when I was playing along with the recording, and I realized that Robin was playing the guitar solos. So I was playing with him, but he wasn't even there!

After playing five songs, I was tired! I felt spent, but inspired. I skipped out of the studio with a Latin beat andPortugese lyrics running through my head, and jumped into my car and headed home to my baby girl. When I got there it was just about time to put her to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home