Musical Meanderings

This is a blog centered around some of the musical encounters and experiences that I come upon in my daily life as a musician.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alameda, California

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Title Song for the new CD!

The title song for the new CD has been born! Yesterday I started humming the tune and it kept going through my head. I am working it through and through, upside down and inside out. I don't have the whole thing yet and it will take some doing, but I love the part that I do have. It's melodic and moody. Yes.
This composition is not coming easily, as some do. I will have to put some time into it and think and feel it out both musically and intellectually. In my own little musical world, I envision this creative process to be similar to that of Beethoven's. (Did I just compare myself to Beethoven?)
Sometimes a tune will come naturally. Easy as pie. Smooth. It is already complete when it comes to you. Up there in the universe, just waiting for you to sing it and play it and write it out, maybe. Like Mozart. He didn't have any trouble writing music. But he had other troubles.
I am excited about this title composition. What shape will it take? When will it be done? What's it going to sound like, ultimately? I recorded a rough version of it, with the melody going several different ways, and put it on my computer desktop, so I can listen whenever I feel like it. This will help me to keep in mind the different twists and turns that the song might take. We'll see where it goes.
Tonight I have rehearsal with the Portugese fado group, Ramana Vieira's Ensemble. We are in the process of recording a new CD in a San Jose studio. Rehearsals take on a new meaning when you have to make decisions for recordings, choices that you will have to listen to and be responsible for for a long time. It's certianly not like a musical choice for a single performance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home