Musical Meanderings

This is a blog centered around some of the musical encounters and experiences that I come upon in my daily life as a musician.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alameda, California

Monday, March 09, 2009

March 2009

Butterfly Girl: classical-gypsy-circus-world cello music

I have been really trying to figure out how to promote my brand new CD "Butterfly Girl", and I have found something out. You know what? There's no one way to do it. You just have to go at it and plug away. Which is what I didn't do with my last CD "Night of a Thousand Rains". It's a beautiful record, but I never did any promotion for it, and I only sold it at gigs. This time, with this new CD, I am going to get into the promotion arena and try to get my music out there. It's going to be fun!
Whose on the CD? Here's a list: Marcie Brown on cello, Terrence Brewer on guitar, Katja Cooper and Steve LaPorta on percussion, Ana Nitmar and Ramana Vieira on vocals and the Agave String Quintet with Robin Lewis on guitar. A star studded cast. Also, a cameo performance by Isabelle Brown-Lyden on her cello and singing.
After doing some research, I have decided to start my own record label. It's going to be called "Classical Gypsy Records." How does that sound?

So, we here at Classical Gypsy Productions are working on a new website design that has the CD cover on the home page and is easily accessible for people who want to hear a little of it or buy it. We are going to go with a radio campaign and the CD will be sent around to college stations and world music stations. "Butterfly Girl" is classical-gypsy-circus-world cello music, but I guess it can be classified under "world music". Sure, why not?

I am busy getting promotional materials together to send out. It's alot of work!

But let's see, what else is going on?

I have a new string quartet, and it is going to be great. We met for the first time last week. The violinists are Julian Smedley and Ben Cortez, and the violist is Katie Wrede. The group can play alot of things that string quartets can't normally play. Gypsy jazz! Standards! And lots of improvisation. It's exciting. I will keep you posted on that group. First, we need a name. Anyone?

Also, the wonderful Portguese fado group that I am in, "Ramana Vieira and her Ensemble", are recently signed to a record label, "Pacific Coast Jazz". Our new CD is entitled "Lagrimas de Rainha", which means "Tears of a Queen." We have a CD release party at the Throckmorton Theatre in Mill Valley on Saturday, April 18th, and we are also playing at Yoshi's in Oakland on Tuesday, May 26th, at 8 and 10pm. Yay! Go Ramana!

With my little daughter Isabelle, who is now seven years old, I will be performing a March 14th Aids/Lifecycle Series concert. It's a Saturday night 7:30 show at the Chapel of the Chimes in Oakland. We will probably play a few Irish cello duets and then we'll break out Suzuki Cello Book 3 and show off her Lully Gavotte. Go Isabelle!

Oh, and one more concert I just added, another of the Aids/Lifecycle Concert Series shows. It's on Sunday, April 5th, at 4pm, at the Orinda Community Church. I will be playing a few selections for solo cello from my new "Butterfly Girl" CD. This is going to be videoed for my website, so I better be good!
Okay, that's the musical update for now. I should go play some music instead of just talking about it!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marcie! What about "Mammoth Hot Strings" for your new groups name?
I just read the article about you in the Alameda Magazine. Very nice!
Ned

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home